Amentoflavone: Power, Pumps and Fat Loss
What is Amentoflavone?
Amentoflavone is a bioflavonoid that is found in a variety of herbal supplements but is most commonly extracted from Selaginella Tamariscina. Although this ingredient is relatively unheard of it has recently become more popular due to the multiple ergogenic benefits it provides. For this reason, you will find it in pre-workout, fat burning and other performance enhancing supplements.
What are the benefits of supplementing with Amentoflavone?
Amentoflavone takes a four-pronged approach to enhancing performance, body composition and cognition. First, it increases calcium release within the muscle cell. Calcium is required for muscle contractions to occur; the more calcium released into the cell, the stronger the muscular contraction which equates to significant increases in strength. Second, it is a phosphodiesterase (PDE) inhibitor, which is a well-known mechanism of vasodilatation. Amentoflavone’s ability to inhibit PDE means greater “pumps” and performance. It also means it can increase fat loss and inhibit fatty acid synthesis by blocking the metabolism of cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP) and cyclic Guanosine Monophosphate (cGMP). When looking at Amentoflavone’s possible impact on mood it should be noted that it is a negative modulator of the GABA-A receptor which may improve alertness and focus.
What does the research say?
Here is a brief summary of a few key studies on Amentoflavone:
- A 2007 study found that Amentoflavone was able to reduce noradrenaline induced vasoconstriction by 35% thus demonstrating its strong vasorelaxation effects.
- A 1999 study demonstrated that Amentoflavone caused a calcium ion release from the sarcoplasmic reticulum that was 20 times more potent than caffeine. This greater release of calcium could lead to stronger, more forceful muscle contractions.
- A 2013 study concluded that Amentoflavone can inhibit fatty acid synthesis by 15-20%. This attribute may be beneficial to those who are seeking to lose weight and fat mass.
When is the best time to take it?
If the goals are to increase strength, blood flow, and focus before working out, Amentoflavone is best taken 15 to 30 minutes before you hit the gym. When fat/weight loss is the goal, it is best taken once in the morning and an additional time in the afternoon.
Are there any adverse side effects?
No serious adverse events have been reported. However, anyone who is taking a prescription medication should first consult with a doctor before using it.
Amentoflavone is a non-stimulant compound that improves performance, cognition and body composition. To recap this super ingredient can:
- Amplify Nitric oxide production
- Maximize vasodilation
- Lead to bigger pumps
- Increases strength and power output
- Enhance fat and weight loss
- Improve mood, alertness, and focus
- Inhibit Fatty acid synthesis
Ready to try Amentoflavone?
Three of Performax Lab’s innovative products contain Amentoflavone. Oxymax XT is a “feel good” fat burner that attacks fat loss through multiple pathways. PowerMax XT is a potent performance enhancing powerhouse that containing ingredients known to work synergistically to enhance strength and endurance, amplify raw power output, deliver massive pumps, improve focus, and promote an anabolic environment necessary for muscle growth and recovery. Last but not least Vasomax is the most potent non-stim pump pre-workout on the market today with scientifically backed, efficaciously dosed, muscle pumping ingredients.